Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Ancestry DNA Tests That Unearthed Family Secrets


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the wildest revelations that came to light after various families tried out those Ancestry DNA tests. This certainly isn't the first time that we've encountered some crazy Ancestry DNA drama. We had the one dude who ended up creating chaos in his family after purchasing one of the $99 kits. We also had that other story about a family getting completely blindsided by an emotionally shocking secret from another one of the kits

1.

Text - CatMakes3 • 5h 8 1 Award My real father and 3 half siblings-it ended up being a really good discovery. Reply 2.2k 3 ...

2.

Text - Freeagnt · 3h 2 e S E 11 Awards A full 100% older brother. My mother got pregnant by my father before the were married. Scandalous in 1960. So, with my father's knowledge of the situation, mom left town, and lived with my aunt until the birth. Mom gave the baby up for adoption, and then returned home. A couple years later, she married my dad and had three more children together, including me. Fifty five years later, after both my parents had died, my aunt let it slip that me and my siblin

3.

Text - OrangeTree81 • 4h 1 Award My male cousin did one and found a female cousin we did not know about. He reached out to her and apparently our deceased uncle was good friends with her mother. Mom wanted a baby so uncle got her pregnant simply as a sperm donor. Female cousin lived a few blocks away from my grandmother. She had met her a few times going around selling Girl Scout cookies or something. My grandmother had no idea that she was buying cookies from her granddaughter. Reply 4 1.5k ...

4.

Text - AgentElman • 4h 1 Award A friend discovered that her father was not really her father. Her mom had an affair and she was the result. It tore her family apart. Her "father" did not know he was not really her father. Reply 1 1.8k 3 ...

5.

Text - faye_okay_ • 4h My ex-husband's family were proud of their Dutch heritage and claimed to be one of the founding families of the historically Dutch Holland, MI. His ancestry results didn't show any Dutch ancestry. Instead, he had primarily English/Irish ancestry. Q Reply 2.0k 3 ...

6.

Text - last_to_know42· 3h Not me, My wife A few years ago my wife and I both took the 23 and me test. One of her matches came back with 23% which is high for someone non-family. She messaged him and they started talking. He was about 10 years older, said he was adopted and the only thing he knew was some basic biological info. From his age that would have put her mom at 14 but her mom never said anything about it. So the two options were her mom got knocked up young or Grandma had a secret love

7.

Text - sunshineykris • 3h 1 Award So, I did the health DNA one 18 months ago because I wanted to see if I had the breast cancer gene, as there is several incidences on both sides of my family. Got my results and became very confused, it claimed I had no Italian despite my father's grandma literally coming over from Sicily in 1920. It took me a few minutes to realize what that actually meant. My parents have been together since my mother was 14, I was born when she was 17, and my father joined th

8.

Text - pinkiea · 5h Not me, but a family friend. He did the test and found out he had a half-brother. Turns out his dad had an affair a while back, and that kid was a product of that affair. Reply 625 ...

9.

Text - AztecWheels • 4h 3 2 Awards I found a half sister that none of my siblings or mother knew about. My dad had an affair 50 years ago (he's dead now). For us it wasn't really a surprise, we already have a half-sister from another affair but for the newly discovered one it answered a lot of questions and gave her some needed closure. We all met a few times, it was pleasant. Reply 1 573 ...

10.

Text - Grave_Girl · 4h S 1 Award Found out that my brother is only my half-brother. Our parents (well, who we thought were both our parents) were never married. But my mom has insisted my whole life that my dad is my brother's dad. He never acknowledged my brother (he did me), claiming that the man my mom was living with at the time was probably his father. My mom has always said the other fellow was simply her roommate. Given that my dad was an alcoholic and chronic liar and our mom has never b

11.

Text - So we're left with the certainty that our mom has been wrong all these years. Again, I swear to you that this woman does not lie to make herself look better. It just doesn't occur to her. I mean, I was in elementary school when she told me I was the result of a drunken attempt to get her ex-boyfriend to leave his wife for her. This woman is really a lot more honest than she should be, by all rights. So we've actually decided not to raise the issue with her. Either she's gone 50 years not

12.

Text - valeyard89 · 3h My wife is adopted (but found her bio mom) and did one of the genetic tests. Someone matched with her and asked if she knew such and such a name. She found out her bio dad wasn't married to the bio mom.... it was her boss. oops. | Reply 1 240 3 ...

13.

Text - ameliacantlove · 4h i took a DNA test & found i am ethnically 25% Ashkenazi. After 8 months of serious digging, I found out my grandpa (my father's dad) is not my father's biological father. -- I have since came into contact with my half-uncle, he's super nice & i enjoy chatting with him. i loved learning about my bio-grandpa & the rest of the family. we haven't told them & don't plan on it. i have a small family, my mothers father had recently passed away & it was such a great comfort to

14.

Text - _orange-soda_ • 3h I am the family secret, family discovered their brother/ cousin/son and his wife had 3 children and gave them all up for adoption - after matching with me through a DNA test. They were shocked to say the least, but we're all pretty close now. Reply 1 85 ...

15.

Text - dazeyd · 3h A woman over in Chicago decided to find out who her real parents were. She was getting close to 60 and realized that there may not be much time left to find her father. So through the magic of ancestry she was matched to my grandfather. She seached out to him and told him who her mother was. He didn't recognize the name but dug up his little black book and lo and behold...there she was. So now l've got a new aunt! Reply 4 38 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment