Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Dumb Boss Cuts Chef's Overtime, Ends Up Paying Anyway


In order to get things done, you need people to work for you. And in order for people to work for you, you need to pay them. It's a simple formula, but managers have an extremely hard time grasping that. Why is it so difficult? Here's another incompetent manager who forbid overtime and ended up paying for it.

1.

Text - O r/MaliciousCompliance · Posted by u/CopChef 18 hours ago 11 4 3 S 14 E & Change me from hourly to salary to cut my pay. ОK... oC L This takes place in the "before times" when people could eat out and gather in large numbers. I used to work as a chef, for an owner who liked to micromanage things and was a bit narcissistic. I'd been working there about 3 years, getting good reviews, customers loved me, updated the menu. Made everything from scratch, people used to think the place was open

2.

Text - The increase in sales and income went to the owners head. He was always spending money on frivolous things and squandering cash. Sound system, stage for the event space, ect. One example, I needed a new Alto-Sham, a used one would have sufficed, nope he bought the top of the line one that could be used as a smoker too $12k vs what I wanted could be gotten used for $1,500. Granted I enjoyed that piece of equipment, which after I left they no longer use the smoker function. Years later I st

3.

Text - So to save money he puts me and my Sous on salary effectively cutting my pay by about $10k a year. My Sous netted a loss of $2k/yr, if we were to work at our current level of effort. During all of this the owner is saying he is not expecting us to work over 40 hours a week, EVER. He even has this written into our contracts. So with the extra time off at home with family it is ok, I still like the job and my staff. During the slower time this was great. Also during this time I had won a lo

4.

Text - Just prior to the holiday season my Sous wants to go back to his home country for 2.5 months, November, December & January peak crazy time for us. I have good help and am good with it, owner approved the time off. Owner thinking I am gonna save him some $$ that holiday season by working my usual 70-80 hours a week. Nope, cue the malicious compliance. I start writing the holiday schedule, Sous is on vacation, I have my 40 during key prep times and peak business times. The rest if my staff

5.

Text - running pretty smoothly until the owner realizes I'm not there like I always am during the holiday rush. He's in the kitchen more trying to micromanage my staff, giving them poor advice contradicting my directions and timing for events, screwing up the small parties my staff could handle while I am off. After a few weeks of this he realizes he's going to be paying the staff out more in overtime than he saved on moving me and my Sous to salary. He starts demanding I work more hours to stop

6.

Text - Now with my Sous returning, I'm burned out from the constant micromanaging & gaslighting by the owner I hand the reigns to my Sous and change careers after 25 years in the industry and never look back. TLDR, micromanaging owner cuts my pay by $1Ok a year to save money, due to owners stupid spending habits. Says in contract not required to work over 40hours a week. Busy holiday season only work 40, rest of kitchen staff gets overtime, and no money is saved.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment