Saturday, November 14, 2020

Unexplainable Health Miracles Doctors Witnessed


Nothing like some good old medical miracles to uplift that spirit a bit. Every now and again the universe dishes out a pleasant surprise that defies the odds, and science as we know it. Sometimes people pull through when you least expect it. If you're ever around to witness such a profound moment, feel thankful for every bit of it. 

1.

Text - babynursebb • 15h O1 Award Nurse here. When I was a new grad there was this young woman who had a severe brain bleed to the point that we removed two skull flaps to relieve pressure. She had a really bad prognosis. Her husband always was at her side and kissed her every day even though she was unresponsive. One day she kissed him back. I happened to be in the room hanging a med when it happened. It was her first purposeful movement after her stroke. She ended up making a pretty great reco

2.

Text - cherrysleep • 13h Nurse here. But, as a student nurse I did a placement on a Nero floor. Had a guy who had had a sever stroke. Aphasia (jumbled words) and 3 x assist with a hoist. Late one evening dude walked past the nurses station like nothing had happened, my preceptor carefully followed him and asked what he was doing. He said "oh just going for a walk" like it was no problem. We followed him around the ward for a bit and then he went back to bed. The next day he was back to being a f

3.

Text - Nathaniel66 • 10h My uncle had a cancer and he was at the end of the road. Family wanted to take him home for the last christmas, doctor said there's no chance he will survive 30 miles trip. We took him anyway. It was 18 years ago and he's perfectly fine. Doctor's don't know why, but the cancer just reversed itself. Reply 1 231 ...

4.

Text - Urethra_tormentor • 7h Nurse. Had a woman who was practically unresponsive for days, no sign of improvement, deemed to be end of life. Arranged discharge to a hospice for end of life care, ambulance arrived and transferred her. Less than an hour after arriving at the hospice she woke up and asked one of the nurses there for a can of fosters. Eventually went home and lived for a few years after. Another one, not really a miracle but it scared the hell out of me: I had been off sick with th

5.

Text - lennykingofrats • 13h I don't think that I have. I've seen things that didn't have an explanation, but nothing that registered as unexplainable. Sometimes people do a lot better prognostically than you would have ever expected, but there's always the sense that, given perfect information, this could probably be explained. Either they were misdiagnosed or underdiagnosed initially, or they have a particularly robust response to x medication due to y gene that we'll eventually find out about

6.

Text - _F3R_ • 6h It happened to me a lot of times as a medic. But we, the doctors, have to attribute it to some physical, explainable circumstance. Problem is: our scientific community is very cropped, very narrow sighted and arrogant. There is an untold paradigm: "Anything that happens but I don't understand, didn't happen or must be converted to something I can explain", instead of accepting our science is limited and we (humans), at our current level, cannot understand or explain certain thi

7.

Text - Blorgicus • 8h patient here: APA syndrome, severe variant. besides a nearly full occlusion of my IVC down to my left knee in 2015 that was about 8 pounds after removal, which they had never seen that much before in someone my size, I was nearly killed (and should have died) this january when i went in for another clot removal. Completely asymptomatic my whole life until my mid 30s. This time (January), i went in for a standard clot removal when i saw the signs of a new one. They poked a h

8.

Text - rhett342 · 8h I'm an RN, not a doctor. I worked in dialysis for almost five years. People who have acute renal failure (somehow injured the kidney, kidneys got messed up due to an illness, stuff like that) will sometimes get better and be just fine. Chronic renal failure patients (kidneys just get worn out, usually from diabetes and/or high blood pressure) don't get better. Between my main clinic and floating to other clinics over the years I've cared for hundreds and hundreds of patients

9.

Text - Professional-Can8235 • 14h Medical assistant here. I saw a nail go through a guy's thumb and to the other side. Glove included. As we were workman's comp/urgent care and he wasn't severely bleeding, we got an X-ray before we sent him to the ER. The nail was a hairline away from the bone. His story, paraphrased and in English (he spoke Spanish): "I was using a nail gun at work. I turned off the safety to move quickly and my dumbass forgot to move my hand." The X-ray was fucking awesome. Re

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment