Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Sayings People Realized Were Unique to Their Families


Most every family has a general repertoire of stock sayings and inside jokes that they use in all instances of the day. Some sayings are much rarer than others. For some drama among families, here's a family who thought they lost the cat, but the cat showed them otherwise. And here's a kid who pulled the nuclear option on his dad in monopoly.

1.

Text - DuxofOregon 1.7k points · 1 day ago S Dad would always say, “hotter than a garlic fart." Never heard anyone else say that.

2.

Text - McNamee93SAFC 30.6k points · 2 days go O & 6 A 4 & 23 More My dad always used "it's broke with a capital F" - as his way of saying "it's completely fucked" but without swearing in front of us as kids.

3.

Text - slothbarns7 29.5k points · 1 day ago 2 2 23 3 3 9 & 7 More Growing up with an Asian mom that was working on perfecting her English, she would often say "Aw that is the suck" instead of, you know, "that sucks". Didn't take long for us to catch on and correct her but it was so funny we just kinda stuck to it, so when something is shitty now I'll instinctively say in my head "well that is the suck"

4.

Text - Mikkle80 20.2k points - 1 day ago "She's got an arse like a harvest frog." From my Irish Grandad. I still don't know what it means, though I do know it wasn't a compliment

5.

Text - dtrippy 19.7k points · 1 day ago 4 26 3 Whenever I didn't like something, my dad would say, "Well it likes you. It called the other day and said so". It could be anything: broccoli, a hamburger, the neighbor's cat. Whatever I didn't like or want to try, he had always gotten a call.

6.

Text - MyThrOHAcct 15.6k points · 2 days ago 2 When something new turned up and we'd ask my dad where it came from his reply was always "stole it from a blind man down on the corner"

7.

Text - Back2Bach 12.1k points · 1 day ago When Mom was angry about something and we'd ask her "what's for lunch?", she'd put her hands on her hips and exclaim: "Fried Assholes!"

8.

Text - Ibenthinkin2much 11.4k points · 1 day ago 2 e Mom: You'd never notice on a galloping horse. No one really looks closely at you.

9.

Text - maryhallie 10.2k points · 1 day ago 2 2 S3 8 My nan and mum would always say "you're nosey for a cabbage", when I would try to ask about stuff that wasn't my business, not sure if it's unique to us but I've never heard anyone else say it

10.

Text - willowgrl 10.2k points · 1 day ago 9 If we were having a hard time doing a puzzle or something, mom would tell us "you gotta hold your teeth right". Whenever she bought us presents they came from "the gettin place".

11.

Text - theothersoul 9.4k points · 1 day ago 2 3 32 "You got goats" My family's way of saying you had a wedgie, because it looked like there was a goat in your crack eating your pants. Quite embarrasing when I found out that wasn't a common phrase

12.

Text - iBelieveInSpace 8.4k points · 1 day ago 2 8 One I still don't understand is "What are you doing? Posing for animal crackers?" I mean, I understood the meaning but the reference was beyond me. Basically when I was standing around during work and not doing anything. Dad had a lot of weird ones.

13.

Text - scottsmith7 8.4k points · 1 day ago Me: "What are you doing?" Dad, obviously just watching TV: “I'm digging a hole."

14.

Text - blitherblather425 7.8k points · 1 day ago My dad doesn't swear so he always uses the word "suck". "What the suck is going on here?" "You're all sucked up" It would always make me and my friends laugh. He also uses the word bunghole. “That guys a real bunghole" he has a ton of other phrases I can't think of right now.

15.

Text - Mydaley 7.2k points · 1 day ago The term 'to disconcur' meaning to disagree. Tried using it once in a class and got some serious sideways looks. Teacher had to break it to me that it is not a valid word.

16.

Text - 2 @ 2 I'm sure this is actually super common, but it comes from my Great Grandma. She only lome88 7.2k points · 1 day ago spoke Hungarian and what little english she did know were translations of her favorite Hungarian swears. She would often call people, especially my father, "bitch-bastard" in both languages. It stuck and most of my family on that side refer to each other as "bitch-bastards", which does cover most bases.

17.

Text - something98123 7.0k points · 1 day ago 2 & 3 More "What time dark" was something we would say to ask like the general question of when was like dinner and down time. Turns out my parents were ass face drunk on vacation in a different part of the world before me and my sister were born when my mom turned to my dad and proclaimed "what time dark". Because she wanted to see the sun set but couldn't get the thoughts together. So from 1-16 I thought it was a common saying, and from 16-24 when

18.

Text - Thatdewd57 6.2k points · 1 day ago · edited 1 day ago i My dad always said “Life is like a bowl of cherries but you just gotta watch out for the shit underneath." And to this day I have no fucking clue what it means. I asked him and he said one day you'll get it. Well Dad I'm 36 and have no clue.

19.

Text - Mancsnotlancs 6.0k points · 1 day ago I used to run a pub. I had to refuse to serve a rather inebriated young man. Rather than say you think you're the best thing since sliced bread' he actually said: you think you're a slice of bread'. Since then, in our family, anytime one of us does something rather clever, we are accused of thinking we are a slice of bread.

20.

Text - Carpe_Musicam 4.6k points · 1 day ago Any time I'd ask my mom where she was going she'd shout, "Crazy! Want to go with me?" Also, if you asked her to make you a sandwich she'd always say "Poof! You're a sandwich!" My Dad also used the word 'dumberd' a lot. Like his own personal synonym for dumbass.

21.

Text - BPD_whut 4.4k points · 2 days ago "Red shoes, no knickers." My mum said this, that there's an implication women wearing red shoes weren't wearing any undies. Still haven't met anyone who has ever heard of it.

22.

Text - Skinnybet 4.2k points · 1 day ago 2 My dad would tell us to “ cough it up it could be a gold watch “ if you were coughing. I never understand it.

23.

Text - Not_Used_To_People 3.6k points · 1 day ago Whenever we were to fend for ourselves for dinner, my mom called it "getchuroni" (getchu-your-oni)

24.

Text - iwiwdascsttaraf 3.4k points · 1 day ago - 2 3 My mom said something really funny edited 1 day ago once while we were getting ready to run out. She said, “Mirror mirror on the wall, you better fucking lie to me!" Since then it's stuck and we say it before we leave to go out.

25.

Text - Poes_Laaitie 3.1k points · 1 day ago · edited 23 hours ago "Born up a tree" is my family version of Bon Appétit

26.

Text - nkmos19 2.6k points · 1 day ago Younger Me: “Dad I don't want to walk downstairs at night. It's too dark." Dad: "There's no monsters. We can't afford monsters."

27.

Text - Nashmimi 2.5k points · 1 day ago S As a kid whenever I would say 'I don't know what to wear!' my Grandma would say 'Put a raisin in your belly button and go as a cookie'

28.

Text - zardoz_lives 2.5k points · 2 days ago 2 "Whoa Jackson!" Was something my dad always said. He swore it was a thing in the 70's, which my mom would always shake her head behind him and mouth, "it was never a thing."

29.

Text - savetheaglet 2.3k points - 1 day ago · edited 1 day ago S My mom would always say "it's behind the milk!" when we would look for something and couldn't find it. Inevitably whatever we were looking for one day was simply behind the milk in the fridge and we couldn't find it. My mom exclaimed this from across the house in frustration and it became the exclamation for anything someone is trying to find. Meaning look harder, actually move other objects instead of just blankly staring.

30.

Text - arwenorange 2.1k points · 1 day ago edited 21 hours ago e "Just like downtown" My immigrant dad has picked up a lot of American idioms, but some of them he's made up. He uses this whenever he thinks he done something really well, like a perfect parking job. He also uses actual phrases excessively. Like he'll also say "call it a day" after a perfect parking job. Really, he's just super proud of his parking skills.

Submitted by:

Tagged: sayings , lol , dad , family , stories , unique , mom , funny

No comments:

Post a Comment