Thursday, October 1, 2020

Dumbest Things People Actually Believed


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the dumbest things that people actually believed. Sometimes, you end up making it in life till you're 25, believing that sugar was out there growing in caves (hence sugar rock candy), and then you learn that the whole world as you knew it was a lie. Knowledge might be power, but dang, it can sting sometimes. 

1.

Text - Narniach • 5h 5 Awards I used to think that people exclusively wore hats if they were bald, because that's why my dad wore a hat. Reply 16.1k ...

2.

Text - azzwhole • 4h That reindeer wasn't an actual animal but specifically a mythical animal that santa claus used. I believed this until I was 23 or so when I saw some nature documentary talking about reindeer. I was like.. whaaaaaaaaat? Reply 1.3k ...

3.

Text - sangbum60090 • 5h 1 Award I was convinced that Greeks still worshipped Zeus and other gods for awhile after I heard the word Greek Orthodox Church as a kid. Reply 1 7.8k ...

4.

Text - terminatoreagle • 4h That someone could shoot me from the otherside of a phone during a phone call. Whenever kid me was on a phone call, I always tried to end the call as soon as possible, and get away from the phone as fast as possible.

5.

Text - ilovetab • 3h 7 Awards When I was a little kid, I believed that when people got divorced, they had a divorce ceremony, like where they had to go to church and say, "I don't," and I imagined the woman wore a black divorce dress (like her wedding dress had been dyed black), and that everybody went to the reception where the ex-bride and ex-groom sat on opposite sides of the hall and there was a divorce cake where the bride and groom had their backs to each other with their arms angrily cros

6.

Text - ms_horseshoe • 4h 1 Award That I could smell something while underwater. When I was around 10/12 years old I was in a tropical themed water park where also happened to be a herbal bath. It smelled very nice, which I had not expected. Most of the tropical plants were fake plastic plants, so I figured the water in the bath was normal swming pool water and the smell was coming from something else. The bath was surrounded with a small aromatic herb garden which didn't look fake. I sneakily to

7.

Text - rogerofdale • 4h That turkeys drowned by looking at the sky during a rainstorm. I am dumber then a bag of hammers Reply 101

8.

Text - wieners69696969 • 3h I used to be so confused about the amount of time it would take to make movies because I was convinced they did it all in chronological order and when they did flashbacks to childhood, I was like "wow those actors are so committed" or I would think it must take a long time for their hair to grow or change in anyway and never considered it could be a wig lol Reply 290 ...

9.

Text - Badbishop12 • 6h That I couls see atoms spinning in the air. Turns out it was visual snow ¬_¬ Reply 515 ...

10.

Text - Hartsock91 • 5h 15 Awards As a kid, my sister told me that we had an older brother that died. She said he died when playing bowling and his fingers didn't come out the ball and slid all the way down the alley then he turned into a skittle. Reply 27.1k ...

11.

Text - kaimcdragonfist • 5h O 1 Award If you turn off a video game without pausing the hero is left paralyzed and defenseless. Yes I actually believed that Reply 752

12.

Text - slotwima • 5h That the trees created wind. I was a child at the time, but I feel so dumb about that one. Reply 30 ...

13.

Text - _always_sunny_• 6h 5 Awards That the Great Wall of China had a cat adoption program. I was meeting my friend's boyfriend for the first time, and he mentioned that he had just adopted one of the retired Great Wall of China cats. China trains these cats to patrol the Wall and kill vermin, and at the end of their 7 year stint they are retired and adopted out to a forever home. I kept asking questions about it: How do you apply? Are they a specific breed? How do they get transported worldwide

14.

Text - ThatOneWhoSparkles • 5h A watermelon/apple tree will grow out of my stomach if I eat the seeds Reply 1.9k ...

15.

Text - kingcillian • 4h I used to think tv static was a bunch of some type of microorganisms floating around in my tv that could electrocute you. Reply 30 ...

16.

Text - Eviezz • 1h I thought sugar grew in sugar caves, similar to salt caves. I believed that sugar crystals (like rock candy) just grew in caves and there were parts of the world with beautiful crystallised sugar caves. I was 25 years old when I brought it up in conversation with my fiance. I tried to prove to him they were real and it was when I reached my 4th page on Google, I realised my whole world was a lie. Reply 1 17 ...

17.

Text - ghost0427 • 6h O 6 Awards When I was a kid I used to think professional wrestling was real, and The Undertaker scared the living shit out of me during his whole Ministry of Darkness phase. I thought he actually was Satan's minister or something. Like yeah, he's an undead overlord of hell, here to bring an eternity of darkness and misery to this planet, but he also has to make a weekly television appearance to win a wrestling competition, and you can buy his action figure at Toys R Us. Rep

18.

Text - Arbitrary121 • 3h When we played Pokémon Mystery Dungeon my little sister used to accept the lamest missions and not get good rewards. I told her about it and she responded with "How would you like it if you were a poor Pokémon that lost its mom and was stuck all alone and had nothing to give someone to save you?" I laughed my head off at her because "it's not real, duh" but secretly, I feel that in my soul sometimes. Reply 580 ...

19.

Text - WeatherwaxDaughter • 4h That Yoda came from rotten potatoes... Reply 28 ...

20.

Text - SaltySaltFingers • 6h 3 Awards When I was little, I genuinely believed the Telly Tubbies were evil and that if I didn't watch them on TV every night (even though I hated the show) that they would come and get me. To be fair though they're kind of creepy. Reply 6.0k ...

21.

Text - shicole3 • 3h Last night I saw this weird tiktok about mermaids and went to the comments and all the top comments were about how mermaids are real and all this evidence and people talking about documentaries they saw and alll this shit and there was so much discussion. So for about 4 minutes I was thinking "holy shit mermaids are real and they are carnivorous beasts holy shit everyone needs to know about this" idk what happened to me but I snapped out of it after that. Reply 18 ...

22.

Text - chinchillerino• 5h Someone convinced me for like, 5 seconds that unicorns were real, they just lost their horns through evolution and now they are plain old horses. Reply 565 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment