Friday, September 4, 2020

Parent Forces Vegan Daughter To Cook Meat


The collective opinion in the comments section for this particular AITA seems to be that this parent was not in the wrong. They simply insisted on teaching their daughter a lesson about not wasting food, and also not forcing your beliefs on others. 

1.

Text - AITA for forcing my vegan daughter to cook meat? Not the A-hole My daughter (16F) has been vegan for about a year. Me, my husband and her brother (14M) have tried to be as supportive as possible. We aren't a family that eats meat daily, so it wasn't that hard for me to accommodate her. When I do cook meat, I also make something else for her and keep the side dishes common for all. She does have some seperate dishes, but most are common and I clean it if I have to cook for her.

2.

Text - Few months into the vegan lifestyle, she tried to convince us to go vegan and would get increasingly angry when we said no. Me and husband shut that behaviour down hard and told her that she can follow whatever diet she wanted, but she cannot expect others to. She sulked for a while, but stopped doing that. Last weekend, I cooked the family a big pot of chilli (a small vegan one and a large beef one), so that I can refrigerate it and use for the next week. Next day, I found the fridge emp

3.

Text - Me and my husband were livid. Wasting food is never okay with us and that was a lot of food. I told her I am going to continue using the vegan products in the fridge and she can either eat it or not, but I am not wasting food. That whole week she kept making faces at dinner while she ate. As a punishment, I gave her the recipe and told her she needs to buy them and cook it next weekend. She yelled and begged, but I stood firm. In the end, she did it. When the cooking was finished, I told

4.

Text - instead of x amount of meat being used, 2x amount of meat (Since this seems to be confusing. I meant as in x amount in the pot she wasted + x amount in the new one. I didn't purposefully make her put more than what was used previously) was used because she threw the food away. Now, she started crying and yelling at me about how awful and disgusting I was because I not only forced her buy meat (which she is very much against), I also forced her to cook it and now I am also telling her that

5.

Text - lalacourtney • 4d • Asshole Aficionado [12] NTA. I am a vegan too and while I agree with your daughter's lifestyle choice I do not agree with her approach in trying to recruit others. This is a personal choice and she shouldn't have thrown away your food. Sounds to me like you go out of your way to accommodate her. 7.9k

6.

Text - anchovie_boi445 • 4d • Partassipant [1] NTA. She needs to understand that not everything can go her way in life and that actions have consequences. She shouldn't feel like she has that kind of authority or place to try to tell her parents what to do, let alone take it upon herself to throw out your food. It's like having a 3 year old's problem solving complex in a 16 year old's body by throwing fits and whining to try to get their way or thinking they can do things without consequences. E

7.

Text - Alert-Potato • 4d • Professor Emeritass [78] NTA - a punishment should fit the crime. That is exactly what happened here. She threw away an entire pot of food because she didn't like the smell. Replacing that food, both through purchase and preparation is a fitting punishment. If she feels bad that twice as much meat was purchased and cooked because of her actions, that's because it's true. Hopefully this will keep her from getting kicked out of apartment with roommates later in life, bec

8.

Text - tritoeat • 4d • Craptain [185] 3 Awards NTA. It's like "you break it, you bought it"... she ruined your chili; she is responsible for making it right. 19.7k

9.

Text - m_loquacious • 4d • Partassipant [3] NTA. Your daughter is old enough to know better than to waste food like that. The only alternative punishment to consider would be to tell her fine all the contaminated food can be replaced but she has to pay for all of it since she is the one having the issue. You have been making reasonable accommodations for her dietary change that is self imposed. If you wanted to take it a step further you can tell her to buy a dorm size fridge for her room so her

10.

Text - srtmadison • 4d • Partassipant [4] NTA I am vegan, and your daughter was in the wrong here. You have respected and accommodated her choice, she needs to respect yours, and wasting food is never ok. 844 ...

11.

Text - NTA. One of the most important lessons to learn in life, is that one must fix ones own mistakes. She destroyed your food. That means it's her responsibility to replace it. Making her purchase the ingredients and prepare the food is EXACTLY what she should do to fix it. You didn't go too far. You went EXACTLY as far as she should. If she is crying, remind her that she may make whatever choices she wants for herself but that NEVER gives her the right to destroy other people's property. If t

12.

Text - sosteph • 4d NTA It's a good lesson about wasting food and not trying to force your beliefs on others 22 ...

13.

Text - YayPepsi • 4d I think the only person who's judgement matters right now is your daughter. I mean you could get a bunch of NTA ratings and your daughter will probably still think you're TA. I know I would in this situation. If my parents had forced me to cook meat and go against my beliefs it would be something I remembered for the rest of my life and not in a good "they taught me a lesson" sort of way. You might technically not be in the wrong, but it's not going to help your relationship

14.

Text - jillybeans84 · 4d NTA, but maybe your daughter needs help if she thinks all the food was contaminated by meat smell. That's less about veganism and sounds more like a food obsession/disordered eating behavior 20 ...

15.

Text - Gorilla120 • 4d NTA. This is something I don't understand with a lot of vegans. Throwing away meat means that animal died for no reason whatsoever. If it's eaten then at least it provided some nourishment for someone and its death had some sort of purpose. 21

16.

Text - Angio343 · 4d NTA you have to replace things you "destroy" when they don't belong to you. In this case your food. Her personal diet is irrelevant in this. If she was to destroy someone else leather boots, she would still need to replace them. Her veganism would be irrelevant. 37 ...

17.

Text - awkwardart8 •4d NTA. She needs to realize that not everyone is going to share her beliefs and throwing a tantrum about it won't get her anywhere. Also throwing out something that isn't yours to get rid is not ok and very disrespectful. She is lucky you are so accommodating to her dietary wants when Il'm sure not every parent would be. 13 ...

18.

Text - DieHardRennie • 4d NTA - Your daughter is dangerously close to becoming one of those gate-keeping militant vegans who think that everybody in the world should be vegan. She needs a good healthy dose of reality. Her diet choices are hers alone. She cannot control what others eat - not under your roof, and definitely not out there in the rest of the world. She needs to learn to deal with the fact that everybody eats differently, and she's never going to be able to change everyone's mind. 19

19.

Text - ImRedditorRick • 4d NTA. Tell her that her actions have consequences and it's 150% her fault. I'm sure some people are going to be upset that you made a vegan cook meat, but that's the point of negative reinforcement as punishment. You force someone to do something they hate in response to actions you don't want them to make. 13 ...

20.

Text - wanderingwidow2018 • 4d NTA - here's an idea if she pulls this again: make her volunteer at a soup kitchen and serve hungry people. Maybe she'll see more clearly why wasting food isn't acceptable as she serves hungry people whatever they have available that day. 12 ...

21.

Text - xmajesticmayhemx • 4d NTA you've been more than accommodating to cook 2 separate meals and to buy vegan products which are expensive! I had no diet requirements growing up but there were foods I didn't like and I had no replacements, either we ate it or we got nothing, she should be more than grateful to have her expensive diet be supported and the punishment fit the crime 33 ...

22.

Text - SnotDoods • 4d NTA. I was a vegan from ages 17-23. I was the main cook in the house, but you're helping her with her diet and buying and cooking her vegan foods. She needs to respect your dietary choices and if she finds it disgusting, she doesn't need to eat it. My mom would have whooped my butt and i would have had to restock her refrigerator. I would do exactly what you did with my own children. 34 ...

23.

Text - GladArugula • 4d NTA. I used to be vegetarian (can't now because of health issues) but I would never force others to abide my lifestyle. Also she literally WASTED those animals' lives!! So now those animals died for absolutely nothing...which honestly bothers me MUCH more than someone eating them. This is partly why I wasn't bothered by meat eaters... you can honor the animal deaths by actually putting what is left of them to use. It is the same idea as other cultures have that even thoug

24.

Text - And as a former vegetarian the ESH judgments are treating OP as if she forced her daughter to eat meat and perform animal sacrifice. All she did was make the daughter do exactly what OP has been doing for a year..prepare meals for her family. Heck, OP has been working double duty making multiple meals to please her ungrateful daughter while she sulks. She just wanted to show her the time and effort that went into making the meal and the fact that she wasted all of that food. And especiall

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment