Saturday, August 29, 2020

Mechanic Won't Do His Job, Man Takes Revenge


This guy's a genius. To make matters even better, it sounds like him and the mechanic ended up sorting out their differences and actually working well together. Love to hear that. 

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge + Join u/Viper896 • 3y Oh, it's not your job? It is now. My brother has finally convinced me (after years of trying) that I should write about and post my story here on O r/ProRevenge. I don't follow this subreddit regularly but he is an avid follower and stated my story is worthy. So l'm here to see if he was right. Intro and Backstory My dad was a mechanic for 20+ years, and for as long as I can remember, I drove him nuts because I would go around the house with a screw dri

2.

Text - computers and electronics, which led me to be "that kid" in High School who changed his grades, crashed the school districts servers, and used the NET SEND command with great success. I would spend my weekends either with my grandparents and uncle working on science projects or dragging my dad outside to help me fix my car (which consisted of him telling me that he would help once I got it taken apart). Those "figure it out" lessons were the probably the greatest gift he could've given me

3.

Text - Commo vs. Mechanics As anyone else that was in the US Army can attest to, every Monday is/was "Motor pool Maintenance", which essentially means, go make sure all the Tanks, Bradley Fighting Vehicles (BFV), or anything else with a motor works the way it should. This included testing all the radios and communication equipment as well. If it didn't work, we filled out the maintenance forms with the correct shop and have them fix it. All the issues would later be consolidated into a report th

4.

Text - I ran my shop using the same approach my dad taught me, which was "figure it out" and don't come to me with a problem unless you have a solution. One Monday morning shortly after taking charge of the commo shop, one of my soldiers came to me with a problem he couldn't figure out and asked if I could come help him. I agreed and followed him over to the BFV that was giving him problems. After a few hours of troubleshooting we finally traced the problem to the BFV's slipring. We double and t

5.

Text - So, I went to the mechanics to get there help so we could fix the problem. This is when I learned the mechanics didn't like the commo shop. I was essentially told by the motor chief to f-off and the slipring is a commo issue and it's the commo shop's job to fix it, not theirs. I was pissed at the response and tried to insist we needed his help. However, I was promptly shut down and told to pound sand. At this point, I was beyond pissed, I tried the official way, I even swallowed my pride

6.

Text - Once I got back to the motor pool, I had my guys locate every extension cord they could find around the office because I could only find one in my garage and help me run power out to the BFV that we were going to have to fix ourselves. Meanwhile, I also had 2 of the guys run to the HQ and find me two of largest empty coffee cans they could find. Tended up having to tell them twice because the first time they thought I was joking.. they couldn't understand why I needed a coffee can of all

7.

Text - When they returned with coffee cans I had everything in place. I had power, compressed air, tools, and a place to neatly put all of the bolts, nuts, and washers I was about to remove. Under normal circumstances I would only remove the things that absolutely had to be removed, the fewer things to put back together, the better. But these weren't normal circumstances, and I had absolutely no intention of putting anything back together. It was about lunch time and I decided my way of fixing t

8.

Text - For the next few hours I proceeded to dismantle every single bolt I could find. I removed seats, interior plates, shelves, pretty much anything that wasn't electrical or commo related got removed. I would then place all of the newly removed hardware in the coffee can. By the time I reached the turret I had filled up both coffee cans with nuts, bolts and washers so I had to go find something else to start putting this stuff in, luckily we had Zip-Lock bags by the dozen laying around the of

9.

Text - Everything that I had taken out of the BFV was then gently and neatly stacked in the interior of the BEV. I put the lids on the coffee cans, zipped up the bags, pulled out my trusty sharpie, and wrote "bolts" on each of them. Once everything was tidied up, I went off to find the owner of the BFV and let him know his commo issue was fixed but he should probably have a mechanic look at his BFV because I had to disassemble some (and by some I meant "most") of the vehicle in order to get to t

10.

Text - I knew he was about to storm into my shop in a fit of rage, so I got up and decided it was probably best to meet him outside in motor pool. As soon as I reached earshot distance he started screaming and demanding I put the vehicle back the way I found it. However, I was having none of that, I simply shook my head and told him "It was a "mechanical issue" now and it wasn't my job, I asked for your help in the beginning and was told no because it wasn't your job. I'm just a commo guy I didn

11.

Text - TL; DR – Needed help from Mechanics to replace a Commo part in a tracked vehicle, mechanic told me it wasn't his job, so I took the entire vehicle apart, fixed my part and made the reassembly his job. Edit: Formatting and grammar Update: Thanks everyone for the upvotes and gold. I never really thought my post would have received this much attention.

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment