Monday, June 22, 2020

Company Selectively Enforces Rules, Employee Complies Maliciously


We love nothing more than a good old fashioned tale of malicious compliance. This employee decided to follow those rules to such an extent that they made the company itself miserable. 

1.

Text - r/ProRevenge + Join u/TheBadGuyBelow • 315d Selectively Enforce The Rules? Okay, Let's Follow Them To The Letter Now. I used to work for a manufacturing company who makes waste containers, dumpsters and such, and at first it was a good job with a good manager and no problems. I enjoyed the work, it was a dirty, physically demanding job but kept me in good shape, I could just put in my earbuds and cruise through the day without any issues.

2.

Text - My initial job was to prep the units for painting by polishing imperfections with a sander and grinding down the areas that were too rough, as well as cleaning them up after the welders were done with them, but after a while they kept laying off so many people and dumping their jobs on me that eventually towards the end of my time there I was quality control, helped the painter, was a warehouseman, finisher, grinder and also janitor.for no additional pay beyond the small cost of living ra

3.

Text - After about a year of working for this company (prior to having all these jobs dumped on me) without any issues, new management showed up, and as they like to do, they started making all kinds of changes just for the sake of making changes, things that made jobs harder with no benefit, cutting corners that should not be cut and generally hurting productivity and workplace safety The change in management was bad, but it was not the end of the world. It made things harder for no real reason

4.

Text - When I came back to work, I was on light duty for quite some time since I had a surgery to repair the lung and prevent it from collapsing again. I went from the golden boy who they called on when shit had to get done to the redheaded stepchild of the company, and management was doing everything they could to get me to quit. They would throw my tools away, hide my stools so I couldn't use them while I was working, hassle me over things like my earbuds citing "safety" as why I couldn't use

5.

Text - Other things include the company giving everybody in the plant raises except for me, catching me 5 minutes before leaving work to go on my weekend and "informing me" that we had to work the next day and selectively enforcing safety rules, and even making rules up on the fly. After about 6 months, I had had enough and decided that if they want to constantly cite policy and safety rules to f*ck with me, then I could play that game too. I would make this manufacturing plant the safest compan

6.

Text - I began to slow my work WAY down and only do the jobs I was hired and paid to do. Instead of doing the workload of 10 employees with nothing in return, they now got exactly 1 person's worth of labor out of me. Customers orders began stacking up, deliveries were late, bad welds and welds that got missed during production were overlooked causing the units to have to be repainted when they had to go back to the welding lines to be fixed. The warehouse became a wreck with containers backed up

7.

Text - completing a large unit it 30 minutes to it taking me 2 and a half hours on the same one, not to mention all the repairs that needed done that were missed during production when before I would have caught them before the units even left the production line. Other petty things I did included not showing on Saturday to work when the manager would catch me at the last second and tell me I had to. I took to cutting out the text in the employee handbook citing that working unscheduled hours re

8.

Text - Next on the list was safety. They liked to hassle me so much about trivial things that I figured they would appreciate me going through the plant and documenting every single last OSHA violation, safety violation and anything else that was not right. I had a notebook that was FILLED with violations from one end of the plant to another, things like crane lifts that were being used improperly with J hooks that OSHA previously warned the company about, the same J hooks they liked to hide eve

9.

Text - Once I compiled my list of improvements, I went to the government official who was overseeing safety and procedure since we often worked on government orders. I gave him my notebook, informed him of my manager taking the lockout off a defective forklift, then went on break and waited. About 30 minutes later, I saw my manager walking back from the head office and looking pissed beyond belief. Later I heard from someone who knows him that he got punished severely, especially for the forklif

10.

Text - After I left the company, I heard the hired 5 guys to do my job and that they still did a shit job at it. Had they treated me better instead of coming at me like they did, they would have been still getting the top quality of work from me that they got when I first joined them, and things would have went along just fine. I can't even imagine how much money i must have cost that company by sticking to the exact letter of the rules. TLDR: The company wanted to make me miserable so that I wo

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment