Sunday, August 16, 2020

People Who Actually Like Their Jobs Explain Why


In this day and age, it's sadly rare that people actually enjoy what they do. It also makes you wonder if it's not necessarily the job but the type of person and their outlook that makes their job worth it. Interestingly enough, it's often not the jobs that look fun that grant the most satisfaction. Here are some jobs that look fun but aren't.

1.

Text - Metallic-Blue 33.6k points · 6 days ago · edited 6 days ago & 6 More Public Library Everything is free. I don't have to sell anything. People come in because they want to be there. I get to help people who want to be helped, or provide and environment where they can chill and relax. They only owe money when stuff is late.

2.

Text - comicalcameindune 23.7k points · 6 days ago Facilities-a glorified janitor. The position has morphed, I started by cleaning floors and toilets. Now so many of my creative strengths are used. We're updating our campus, so we build furniture, construct new walls and stages, choose paint colors, engineer unique solutions for an aging campus, and so much more. I've learned electrical, concrete work, welding, sound engineering, drywall, installation of floors, ceilings, doors, stage backdrops,

3.

Text - Lethal_Hobo 21.3k points · 6 days ago Seaplane pilot - charters, sightseeing, fly-in-fishing, & seaplane flight training

4.

Text - how_do_nouns_work 18.4k points · 6 days ago Waste management. I drive a garbage truck. I start early but there are days I'm off at noon. A full 8 hours for me ends at 1:30 and I work 5 minutes from my house. I am in the AC all day and left alone. It's wonderful.

5.

Text - Ipsguy 14.5k points · 6 days ago I think up and draw cartoons. Every day. A syndicated comic for newspapers. Only learned to draw at age 43 so it's been a cool midlife turn. I'm one of those handful of people trying to be at least a fraction of what Gary Larson was/is.

6.

Text - loadblower831 12.8k points ·6 days ago 3 2 i work in a homeless shelter. i was homeless like 10 years ago and it feels good to help the marginalized community i was once a part of

7.

Text - princessyumyum17 794 points 6 days ago I'm an epidemiologist, first year out of school. Certainly an interesting first year, and I'd say I probably have some job security right now.

8.

Text - RandomHuman191817 11.6k points · 6 days ago I'm a locomotive engineer. It's badass controlling thousands of horsepower and tons all with my hands. I love running with the window open listening to the power working and waving a people when they wave with more than one finger.

9.

Text - systor 10.3k points · 6 days ago edited 5 days ago I work at a doggy day care. I left vet teching after 12 years for something less stressful.

10.

Text - spiz_1 948 points · 6 days ago This will probably get buried, but I'm a winemaker. Plenty of cool things about it - especially if you actually enjoy drinking wine.

11.

Text - amark96 8.2k points · 6 days ago I'm a Meteorologist. I look at weather all around the world and work directly with Fortune 500 companies to help them prepare for natural disasters. Considering I've wanted to be a Meteorologist since I was 5, it's a dream come true and I feel blessed.

12.

Text - Katy-L-Wood 7.8k points · 6 days ago I make replicas of dinosaur fossils for museum display. The company I work for does full sized replicas, but I primarily work in the division that creates teeth and claw replicas, and a few scaled down skull replicas, for gift shops.

13.

Text - snydert317 6.7k points · 6 days ago I have worked in zoos my entire career (mostly as a zookeeper) and now get to travel and work in conservation. Incredibly gratifying and truly feel I have never worked a day in my life with this career.

14.

Text - I_AM_A_BABOON 6.6k points · 6 days ago I'm currently a factory worker making sheet metal roofing and siding, it's one of the easiest jobs I've ever had. The work is relatively repetitive, but there's enough variation to keep it from getting boring. The people I work with are kind and funny, management actually gives a shit about us, and the benefits are fantastic. I love working manual labor, I could never have a desk job.

15.

Text - hacktheself 5.4k points · 6 days ago · edited 6 days ago This will sound sad, but at the moment I'm enjoying working as a delivery driver. For clarity, I work for a wage unlike, say, food delivery couriers who are paid piecemeal. It's well below my education level (a BA, second degree in progress). And it's nowhere near my passions (information security). I enjoy the job mainly because I'm gaining rapid familiarity with where I live. I get to see small businesses I didn't know existed (li

16.

Text - DeadliestSaiyan 4.9k points · 6 days ago · edited 6 days ago Im a loss prevention person at Burlington. All I do is stand at the door, wipe off carts, and say hi and bye to people coming in or out. Easiest job in the world, most of my coworkers hate me for the job Edit: I have conquered the art of being bored. I went through elementary through high school being this bored in a class so this job was no different for me.

17.

Text - BitOfAZeldafan2 3.9k points ·6 days ago I'm a night shift worker at a manufacturing facility. I love being able to set all my machines, read a book (or play on my 3DS), and be by myself. Once all my machines are set, I just need to change finished parts for new blanks every 15-20 minutes.

18.

Text - Mowglis_road 3.2k points · 6 days ago Before the pandemic shut everything down I was a Broadway dresser! I got to work backstage on some awesome shows with pretty costumes and be a part of the magic, it was such a rewarding feeling

19.

Text - HSTeacher1987 2.9k points · 6 days ago I teach history and government at a small rural high school. My students are extremely polite and respectful (it's not often the younger generation calls their elders, "sir"), I love what I teach, and I get along with all of my co-workers.

20.

Text - maruffin 2.7k points · 6 days ago I am a speech therapist working with stroke patients. I love rehab. I tried pediatrics but it was not my thing. Rehab is for me.

21.

Text - RussianSpaceSkeleton 2.0k points · 6 days ago Freelance illustrator and graphic designer. I've always liked the idea of making things that are useful to people in any way, and I always try to apply this mentality into my work. Not to mention that stimulating my creativity is something I've always enjoyed, and something this line of work requires on a constant basis. Of course, creative blocks are an issue occasionally, but it's still something I truly enjoy.

22.

Text - hobbyanimal 1.9k points · 6 days ago I'm a sales executive for a utility company. Its a job that most people imagine would be soul-crushing but I genuinely enjoy it. That's not to say it doesn't have its bad moments but it's mostly pretty fun. Plus it's a relatively well paid job in a very recession-proof industry, so at the moment I'm fucking grateful to have a stable job. As a rather solitary person who doesn't particularly like people trying to talk to me I take a perverse satisfaction

23.

Text - feedmaster 1.8k points · 6 days ago Software developer and I absolutely love my job. I literally can't say one bad thing about it. I don't even have a degree and I learned everything on my own.

24.

Text - Stie5894 1.6k points · 6 days ago The job I loved. Retail at an adult store. On an almost daily basis I could be helping an 18 year old just start the discovery of what they wanted, to helping a 70 year old grandma find something to stave off the effects of menopause (side not the grandmas were always the best, no shame, no fears and would flirt and joke with us constantly) I served ten years in the military and that one job selling sex toys I probably did more to help that community then

25.

Text - cdb5336 1.1k points · 6 days ago Park ranger I work for the national park service. I started off seasonal and got to visit 6 different national parks, getting paid to live peoples vacation and be in most beautiful places. Now I am settled permanently on The National Mall where i get to work with special events, getting to see first hand all the amazing events that go on in Washington dc and be apart of it all.

Submitted by:

Tagged: wholesome , job , work , nice

No comments:

Post a Comment