Saturday, July 11, 2020

Most Polite Ways To End Conversations


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the most effective, polite ways to shut down conversations with persistent chatterboxes. We've all been there, busy just trying to muddle through a day, maybe in a rush to get somewhere, and then you cross paths with the immovable, breathless, object that is a passionate chatterbox. It's as if they are so involved in venting to you or whatever ears are around, that they're incapable of seeing the clear sign that nobody wants to hear what they have to say. Consider trying out these polite conversation enders the next time you fall prey to a chatterbox in the wild. 

1.

Text - _zugunruhe_ • 12h 2 Awards If you cannot get a word in, the best thing to do is drop something which typically leads the person to stop talking, giving you a break to say that you forgot that you needed to do something. Reply 7.7k ...

2.

Text - Toska_Ennui • 12h N a 3 3 Awards "I have to return some videotapes" and leave immediately.

3.

Text - PutridRepresentative • 8h 2 Awards In the UK you slap your thighs, announces 'right' and stand up to leave.

4.

Text - ButterDeLaPeanuts • 12h I start talking about my cats. I only have one cat, but I talk about all the cats l've had in my lifetime, and I'm in my late fifties, as if I still have them all. So, it sounds like I have about ten cats. No matter what they say, I relate it back to a cat story. "Oh, wow, that's like that time my polydactyl cat..." And, this is always a permanent remedy. In Caddyshack, Chevy Chase was being bored to death by somebody, looked at his wrist (he wasn't wearing a watch

5.

Text - Ruins_every_thing • 13h Just interrupt them and start talking about your thimble collection Reply 3.9k ...

6.

Text - dotcomslashwhatever • 15h 1 Award brb. and never bb Reply 9.6k ...

7.

Text - luciddionysis • 13h "Sorry, can I stop you right there?" and then walk away quickly. Reply 6.8k ...

8.

Text - SpiritualMayonnaise • 15h 3 1 Award Put any random object to your ear and say "hello, oh it's for you" then hand them the thing. Reply 1 4.7k

9.

Text - Joe-Schmeaux • 14h "This is not a productive area of discussion." But in all seriousness, I used to have a coworker that would cut people telling him rumors off with "Why are you telling me this?" and it seemed to work pretty well. Not sure how rude you'd consider it but it stopped talebearers in their tracks. Reply 14.9k ...

10.

Text - wonderstruck420 • 12h I start signing at them. I can read lips and hear some, but sometimes I'm lazy (especially if I don't have my hearing aids in) and just don't want to talk to them. Confession: My favorite people to do this to are delivery drivers or people who show up at my house randomly. They will come up to the door (which has a huge window) and start talking and l'Il just start signing back. It makes them suuuuper uncomfortable and then they leave. Hahahaha! Reply 1.7k ...

11.

Text - usefulsociopath • 14h Get a button that is always hooked up to your phone's Bluetooth system. Pressing the button makes your phone ring. Take the call and walk away. Reply 4.8k

12.

Text - CubicleRaider • 14h My trick at the office is just keep them talking while I walk. Then we miraculously end up in there office. Then I just turn around walk back to my office. Reply 6.6k ...

13.

Text - BATMANS_MOM • 14h Lawful answer: say you have a pressing prior engagement and end with "we'll have to catch up when I'm not so busy!" Chaotic answer: shit yourself. Reply 408

14.

Text - BnaiRephaim • 14h 3 Awards "Oh, I'm sorry. I need to take this." pulls phone out of the pocket and bashes self in the forehead till passed out Reply 9.4k ...

15.

Text - fwmac_sexpants • 14h Make a promise for a future conversation! "I gotta finish up this_ but hey send me a link to that thing we were talking about" or "that's cool man! Hey I gotta get back to work, let me know when you beat that level!" Reply 2.6k ...

16.

Text - Mentalinstru • 13h Say "hold that thought" and wander off and you simply 'forgot' you were in a conversation if they ask. Reply 257

17.

Text - garyp714 • 13h Be honest. Say that you can't do this right now. Be nice and be strong. People want and need boundaries. Reply 227 ...

18.

Text - SillyGayBoy • 13h "Hey I got some stuff I gotta do so see you later". Most seem to understand I am being polite and we are not hitting it off. It happens. Not everyone is meant to be best friends. Lack of connection happens. Reply 1 22 ...

19.

Text - sweartyder • 13h Give one word answers. It's one way to show you're not intrested in talking.

20.

Text - jman857 • 13h It depends on the situation. If you are doing something and someone is talking to you, just say; "I'm sorry but I'm a bit busy right now. How about we continue this conversation in a bit?". Then at that point just don't engage them any further and if they ask you anything about it, just admit you forgot. More likely than not they won't call you out on it or try to find you again to continue the conversation as more likely than not, the conversation was only good because it w

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment