Friday, July 17, 2020

Best Advice People Ever Received


Someone on AskReddit got a thread going about the best bits of life advice that people have ever received. At the very least the following sentiments can serve as shortcuts toward absorbing the kind of wisdom we'd otherwise have to wait to learn till later in life. Many of these might already sound like common sense, but it's amazing how we can overlook the simplest answers to some of life's most "complicated" problems. 

1.

Text - CBtheNomad • 1d "Use your vacation hours, and don't be afraid to call in sick every now and then either". No need to work like a dog and ignore your benefits to please a boss who doesn't notice. Vacation/staycation days are gems that everyone should take! Reply 3.2k ...

2.

Text - DangerousPuhson • 1d I was in a pretty negative place in college, being quite cynical and sarcastic and really insecure with myself, so much that I was ragging on friends and generally trying to build myself up by putting other people down (you know the type, the friend who thinks he's busting chops but really is kinda just being a dick). My well- liked, popular roommate/friend noticed this and sent me this little bit, which I always hang onto: "Immediately stop picking on peoples weaknes

3.

Text - yourboyethius524 • 1d 1 Award Be the love you never received Reply 1.3k ...

4.

Text - nooooowhaatnooo • 1d During my first internship, I was super keen to please my supervisors and was an eager little brown-noser. Anything they would ask me, I would respond with an enthusiastic yes and rush to do that, even with mindless things like, typing out someone's meeting notes, going out to buy office stationery, and even served coffee to some guests a couple of times, no matter how much I hated doing it. Two months into the internship, the boss called me for a catch-up and bluntly

5.

Text - Evaguess • 1d When you're being too harsh on yourself, imagine if the person with those issues is one of your friends. Treat yourself like you'd treat that friend. That helped me be way kinder to myself than before, really. Reply 331 ...

6.

Text - huntz67 • 1d "Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not" -Uncle Iroh Reply 1.3k ...

7.

Text - Bradzilla4383• 1d "You can't drive forward looking in the rear view mirror" funny enough the guy who told me this was a Drivers Ed teacher Reply 205 ...

8.

Text - marashmad • 1d Save your money and always live within your means. As someone not working now, having some stashed away has kept our family afloat. Reply 108 ...

9.

Text - the-keen-one • 1d Nobody's looking at you. They're worrying about how they look. Reply 850 ...

10.

Text - gumbypunk95 • 1d My current boss says something as a joke that has helped me a lot more than he realizes, I am a mechanic but am not always the most confident (even when I know what I'm doing). He says "only one way to fix it, fix it." Weirdly enough it always makes me focus and remember there's no secret trick he knows that I dont, just got to do it. Applied that to other areas of my life and it helps so much more than I would have thought Reply 1.2k ...

11.

Text - liquidreno • 16h 1 Award This will be buried, but I wanted to share anyway: When my late wife was initially diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer, a friend who had lost his wife to the same disease a few years earlier took me aside and told me, "When this nightmare is over you have to be proud of yourself." Over the next 3+ years she fought valiantly and I lived my life and based my decisions on that piece of advice from my friend. I quit my 75% travel job to spend time and help care for h

12.

Text - thatbcbastard77 • 1d I went to work in construction right out of high school. Before my first day my grandfather told me, to be successful, keep your ears open, your mouth shut, and constantly outwork the person next to you. I lived that advice and it has served me very well. Reply 725 ...

13.

Text - ScurryBlackRifle • 1d life is like a buffet, you have to help yourself Reply 187 ...

14.

Text - DownWithTotodile • 1d 1 Award Don't worry about whether or not you "belong" somewhere, or if you'll fit in. Do your part, respect and support others. If you do that and people don't accept you it's their problem not yours. Reply 459 ...

15.

Text - alaskan_termite • 1d "You cant tell who is swimming naked until the tide goes out" in reference to who is actually prepared when an emergency happens Reply 548 ...

16.

Text - Dayngerman • 1d My grandpa told me this after I had moved into with my girlfriend and said living together was coming so easily: It's not the person who is easy to live with, it's the person you can't live without. We're married now. Reply 459 ...

17.

Text - Ajegwu • 1d Under promise and over deliver. Reply 2.6k ...

18.

Text - Fifty4FortyorFight • 1d "Pick a failure." Sometimes the only options available involve some sort of failure. That's ok. Just pick one, own it, and move on. There's almost never an instant, magic solution without long term consequences. That rare time there is, learn to really embrace it. Reply 810 ...

19.

Text - Flashargh • 1d My Mum said this to me, "There is already a lot of hate in the world, you don't need to add to it". Reply 87 ...

20.

Text - funky_grandma • 23h My dad told me a story about a time he bought some firewood. He paid for a cord of wood, but the guy only dropped off half a cord. When he went to the guy's house to confront him about it, the guy pulled a gun on him, so my dad left. "The lesson," he taught me, "is that when you are dealing with crazy people, always leave them feeling like THEY owe YOU. That way, they will go out of their way to avoid you." I have used this advice several times in my life. Reply 59 ...

21.

Text - holyshitsnacks95 • 1d A couple of years ago I thought about asking a girl out, but was very nervous about it, because I didn't know how she would react. A friend of mine gave me the best advice of my life : "You should go for it, if she says yes- you will have a girlfriend, if she says no- you will have a hell of a story" Reply 233 ...

22.

Text - KnowledgeHungryhen • 1d -Do not give a reason unless asked for it. -You do not owe anyone anything. -Only time you look in your neighbours' bowl is to make sure they have enough. -The longer the bad times are now, the longer the good times will be. -Do not stop fighting until they give up or your body stops working.

23.

Text - GoddessDose • 1d "The meaning to life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. Yet everybody rushes around in a great panic as if It were necessary to acheive something beyond themselves" Reply 120 ...

24.

Text - Dagonet17 • 1d 1 Award What you did wasn't wrong, it was illegal. There's a difference. My dad to me when I got caught with a bit of weed and thrown in a jail cel at 17. Reply 1 34 ...

25.

Text - Richard-Essbeg • 1d "Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love." Reply 28 ...

26.

Text - smom • 1d Do your future self a favor. This relates to prepping for the next day (clothes ironed, lunch packed) to saving money to making healthy choices. It makes for easier decisions and a better life. Reply 150 ...

27.

Text - Snoo-99841 • 1d Don't spend 10 hours on a BS assignment, worth <1% of your grade, that doesn't help you learn the material. Spend all that time learning the material for the exams worth 30+% of your grade. Saves time and saves you from frustration. Reply 111 ...

28.

Text - mkitt88 • 1d Always check for toilet paper before you poop. Reply 1 2.0k ...

29.

Text - Emcuejay • 1d Don't spend your money on the fly. Save it. When you're in your late twenties, you would've amassed reasonable amount to help pay your bills, buy a house, etc.

30.

Text - angelakailing • 23h Not everything that weighs you down is yours to carry. Reply 27 ...

31.

Text - theclash06013 • 23h To thine own self be true. Don't lie to yourself. A good example is that there are some people for whom "I'll do it tomorrow" means they'll do it tomorrow, there are others for whom "I'll do it tomorrow" means it's not getting done. You know which one you are, you should act accordingly. and Reply 1 21 ...

32.

Text - LastWally • 1d Advice for troubleshooting, If something is broken and you have no f'ing idea why. 1. stop focusing on what/why something is broken 2. focusing on explaining (to yourself or someone you're working with) how it is meant to work. Many times this helped me when I hit a wall troubleshooting something complex. Reply 1 19 ...

33.

Text - AntheiasGarden • 23h I was told by a therapist that I can't, in fact, read minds. I had an emotionally abusive mom growing up, and I have really struggled my entire life thinking l'm a constant disappointment to everyone around me. Thinking l'm not entitled to my own opinions, likes, dislikes, etc. Thinking I have to please people or they will automatically hate me. Thinking I am not worthy. Thinking that everyone around me is looking at me with pity or disgust or just waiting for me to m

34.

Text - fluggelhorn • 1d Marriage shouldn't be a 50/50 split. It should be a 60/40 split where both are trying to be the 60%. Reply 3.4k

35.

Text - PMYOURBOOBOVERFLOW • 1d "Don't half ass two things, whole ass one thing." I know, this is from Parks and Rec, but I applied it in my real life. I've had a bad habit of taking on too much and spreading myself too thin. Now I focus on one thing so that I can give the most to it (and get the most out of it). Reply 450 ...

36.

Text - Snake-The-Cheesecake • 1d Learn to say no. This is especially helpful for codependents. Any kindness you pass onto others will be far more genuine if you've taken care of your own needs first: Reply 79 ...

37.

Text - yournormaldoomshroom • 21h "You won't grow if you always stay in your comfort zone." Reply 27 ...

Submitted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment